Nonprofit Law/Fund raising deduction

Question
I recently held and funded a luncheon as a fund raiser for a non-profit organization. My question is: Is the cost I paid for luncheon tax deductible?

If not, is there a way I should organize a luncheon or dinner in the future for a non-profit organization that will be tax deductible?

Thanks

Answer
As to charitable deductions, see IRS Publication 526 "Charitable
Donations"  which is available at:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p526.pdf
on page 5 under the heading "Out-of-Pocket Expenses
in Giving Services" we see that you could deduct the unreimbursed
expenses that you paid for the use of the charitable organization.
The details are found on page 19 of the record-keeping requirements
in the middle column under the heading "Out-of-Pocket Expenses"
where you see you would need the organization's written
acknowledgment to deduct.  Details of the acknowledgement are also
found on pdf page 11 at:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1771.pdf

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic