Nonprofit Law/Minutes of Executive Committee

QUESTION: Can a 501c organization decline to make available minutes of it regular ExCom meetings to members of god standing?

ANSWER: I am assuming that the organization is a California Nonprofit Public Benefit Corporation. If not, let me know what it is and, after you give me that information I will reply further.  starting at section 5002 is the California Nonprofit Corporation's law and specifically starting at 5110 is the law for Nonprofit Public Benefit Corporations.  Specifically, go down, starting at section 6310 and going to section 6338 and you will see what the members have access to

--- Start of Excerpt ---
6333.  The accounting books and records and minutes of proceedings
of the members and the board and committees of the board shall be
open to inspection upon the written demand on the corporation of any
member at any reasonable time, for a purpose reasonably related to
such person's interests as a member.
---End of Excerpt---

Therefore, if the Executive Committee is a committee of the board, a member has access - otherwise, not (unless the Articles of Incorporation or Bylaws require the release).

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.    

QUESTION: The 501(c) non-profit is incorporated in New York State. The Executive Committee is made up of five elected members of the learned societyís Board of Governors - President, Past-President, President-Elect, Treasurer and Secretary; the bylaws makes no mention of the secrecy of BoG or ExCom minutes. (The former have already been sent to me; the organizationís legal counsel is currently deliberating on the latter.)

The New York Not-for-Profit Corporation Law is available at []
Specifically note section 621 as to records

Included as records that need to be kept are "minutes  of  the proceedings of its members, board and executive committee" but, among items that must be given to members, those minutes of executive committee are not listed. Therefore, unless you obtain a court order, under subsection (f), or if required in the organization's Articles of Incorporation or Bylaws, the corporation is not required, under law, to release the minute of executive committee meetings to members.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic

I am an attorney and I volunteer time to answer general questions about U.S. Federal income tax issues of nonprofit 501(c)(3) public charities only. Those questions could be about establishing and maintaining legal requirements for such non-profit organizations in the United States, including Internal Revenue service filings and requirements. I will not be working on this free forum to answer questions about Nonprofit's possible unrelated or for-profit businesses or how to fill out forms. This forum is only for general questions about federal tax law, not as the law applies to your specific situation. If you do not make your question public then I will not be spending much of my donated time on answers that would not benefit the public. If you have other questions, please contact me at I will reply from my email. In any case, do not reveal confidential information to me until after I have contracted with you to provide personal legal services. My responses on this forum are intended to be general statements of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, and do not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather extensive information about the situation. To search my previous answers you can do a Google search by "" without the quotes and then add your search terms before hitting enter.

I have been practicing law and especially the law of nonprofit organizations since 1990 when I was admitted to the New York Bar and I have maintained my status with the Bar since that time.

B.S. Columbia University in New York City, 1970

J.D. (Law Degree) Brooklyn Law School, 1990 -- Cum Laude.