Nonprofit Law/non-profit



I have a non-profit that was to help ex-offenders re-enter society through social service referrals, educational referrals, etc.  But, I never received any grant monies or help to lift it off the ground.  Now, a friend of mind who helps with landlord tenant information, wants to take over my 501 c 3 and rename my non-profit since I am not using it.  She says that there is nothing wrong with doing this; as all I would need to do is sign to change the name she wants and then she will have authority to have new boardmembers who can then operate as a non-profit; helping poor tenants who do not know their rights.

My only question, is once I give it over to her, how do I make sure that I am out of it and have nothing else to do with it?  I don't mind helping, which I will, but I don't want to still be obligated to the non-profit.

Thank you so much

I am assuming that you organization is a "Florida Not For Profit Corporation Act" which is available at

Specifically note to make sure you will no longer be the registered agent and also as to resignation of directors.  

Once you submit your resignation as directors (and officer) and are no longer registered agent you would not be liable for any future activities of the organization.

I do not suggest that "sign to change the name she wants" as her new board may take care of amending the Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws.

I would be willing to work on your matter, but I would need to spend a substantial amount of time drafting documents for the transfer to the new board and that would be beyond the scope of my offer of free services.  If you want to inquire about hiring me for such work, please contact me directly to the email address below.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Harvey Mechanic


DO NOT GIVE ME INFORMATION THAT YOU WANT KEPT CONFIDENTIAL. I am an attorney and I volunteer time to answer general questions about U.S. Federal income tax issues of nonprofit 501(c)(3) public charities only. Those questions could be about establishing and maintaining legal requirements for such non-profit organizations in the United States, including Internal Revenue service filings and requirements. I will not be working on this free forum to answer questions about Nonprofit's possible unrelated or for-profit businesses or how to fill out forms. This forum is only for general questions about federal tax law, not as the law applies to your specific situation. If you do not make your question public then I will not be spending much of my donated time on answers that would not benefit the public. If you have other questions, please contact me at I will reply from my email. In any case, do not reveal confidential information to me until after I have contracted with you to provide personal legal services. My responses on this forum are intended to be general statements of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, and do not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather extensive information about the situation. To search my previous answers you can do a Google search by "" without the quotes and then add your search terms before hitting enter.


I have been practicing law and especially the law of nonprofit organizations since 1990 when I was admitted to the New York Bar and I have maintained my status with the Bar since that time.


B.S. Columbia University in New York City, 1970

J.D. (Law Degree) Brooklyn Law School, 1990 -- Cum Laude.

©2017 All rights reserved.