You are here:

Nonprofit Law/My nonprofit was automatically revoked


Received a letter saying my My nonprofit was automatically revoked of tax exempt status 501c(3). I have already applied for 501c(3) again. Do I still need to fill out and submit Form 1120? Since all the income I get is through donations and is less than $3000 the only category I see to put is other income and since I use the money to buy tracts and books which I give away to people etc since I am a religious organization. Is that a deduction?  Is there any examples of how to fill out this form for nonprofit. Also what they mean total Assets do I include the bank balance of 2011?

I am assuming that the organization is a corporation. From page 2 of the IRS Instructions to Form 1120, "Unless exempt under section 501, all domestic corporations ...must file an income tax return whether or not they have taxable income."

If your organization is not a corporation let me know what type of entity it is and, after you give me that information I will reply further.

I don't know of any examples of Form 1120 completed by nonprofits.  The amounts spent in the conduct of your business are business expenses, yes.

Assets includes property you own (including money in accounts).

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Harvey Mechanic


DO NOT GIVE ME INFORMATION THAT YOU WANT KEPT CONFIDENTIAL. I am an attorney and I volunteer time to answer general questions about U.S. Federal income tax issues of nonprofit 501(c)(3) public charities only. Those questions could be about establishing and maintaining legal requirements for such non-profit organizations in the United States, including Internal Revenue service filings and requirements. I will not be working on this free forum to answer questions about Nonprofit's possible unrelated or for-profit businesses or how to fill out forms. This forum is only for general questions about federal tax law, not as the law applies to your specific situation. If you do not make your question public then I will not be spending much of my donated time on answers that would not benefit the public. If you have other questions, please contact me at I will reply from my email. In any case, do not reveal confidential information to me until after I have contracted with you to provide personal legal services. My responses on this forum are intended to be general statements of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, and do not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather extensive information about the situation. To search my previous answers you can do a Google search by "" without the quotes and then add your search terms before hitting enter.


I have been practicing law and especially the law of nonprofit organizations since 1990 when I was admitted to the New York Bar and I have maintained my status with the Bar since that time.


B.S. Columbia University in New York City, 1970

J.D. (Law Degree) Brooklyn Law School, 1990 -- Cum Laude.

©2017 All rights reserved.