Nonprofit Law/Nonprofit Org. and DBA doing business for that

I have formed a not for profit cooperative. I want to file a DBA to have it serve as agent for doing business for the NP Corp.
1. Can I name it something different than what NP is called?
2. What type of business does it have to be. I will not qualify for tax exempt.

thank you,

I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions relating to IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. A cooperative is not qualified as a 501(c)(3) organization. In denying exemption to a purported 501(c)(3) organization in 1992 the IRS at
on page 6 stated "The reason you were created and your method of
operation indicate that you are made up of a group of parents who
have joined together to work cooperatively to provide funds to pay
for the participation of their children in athletic events. The
expenses incurred by these children would otherwise have been paid
by the parents.  All parents of competitive team members are
automatically members of your organization.  Accordingly, members
expect to receive a benefit in return for their membership.  You
pay no benefits to non-members."

Also the answer to your questions depends upon what entity type the cooperative is, but usually a dba may be filed in California (called fictitious name registration). Each county requires registration.  For example, for Orange County

Instructions for Los Angeles County are available at:

I would be willing to work on your matter, but I would need to spend a substantial amount of time and that would be beyond the scope of my offer of free services.  If you want to inquire about hiring me for such work, please contact me directly to the email address below.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic

I am an attorney and I volunteer time to answer general questions about U.S. Federal income tax issues of nonprofit 501(c)(3) public charities only. Those questions could be about establishing and maintaining legal requirements for such non-profit organizations in the United States, including Internal Revenue service filings and requirements. I will not be working on this free forum to answer questions about Nonprofit's possible unrelated or for-profit businesses or how to fill out forms. This forum is only for general questions about federal tax law, not as the law applies to your specific situation. If you do not make your question public then I will not be spending much of my donated time on answers that would not benefit the public. If you have other questions, please contact me at I will reply from my email. In any case, do not reveal confidential information to me until after I have contracted with you to provide personal legal services. My responses on this forum are intended to be general statements of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, and do not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather extensive information about the situation. To search my previous answers you can do a Google search by "" without the quotes and then add your search terms before hitting enter.

I have been practicing law and especially the law of nonprofit organizations since 1990 when I was admitted to the New York Bar and I have maintained my status with the Bar since that time.

B.S. Columbia University in New York City, 1970

J.D. (Law Degree) Brooklyn Law School, 1990 -- Cum Laude.