Nonprofit Law/PAYING ASSISTANT DIRECTORS

Question
OUR ASSISTANT BAND DIRECTOR IS PAID A STIPEND FROM THE SCHOOL SYSTEM FOR BEING THE ASSISTANT DIRECTOR. HER CONTRACT IS FOR 10 MONTHS A YEAR. OUR BAND CAMP RUNS IN JULY WHICH IS "OUTSIDE" HER CONTRACT. AS A 501C3 CAN WE PAY HER FOR BEING A CLINICIAN AT CAMP?

Answer
There no federal prohibition for a 501(c)(3) organization to pay a school employee to work outside of the time of the school employment.  I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions relating to IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. Your issue is controlled by state law and states may differ somewhat with how they would treat such issues. Even though this forum is not for such state law issues, I can let you know that I never have seen any state that has such a prohibition as concerns you.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic