Nonprofit Law/purpose of tax Id #

I am trying to figure out the reasons of needing a tax id# for a select baseball team. We have been told that we need one and some have said that we do not. I have figured out how and what to apply for, but I guess my question is do we really need one?

If you want a bank account the bank will require a tax id#.  If the team, which appears to be an unincorporated association, wants a bank account you can apply for one for "banking purposes only"

If the team engages in sales operations, like selling of goods or services to raise funds, then the team would not be qualified for "banking purposes only", but would apply as normal for a Tax id# -- EIN (Employer Identification Number, also known as the taxpayer identification number).

If the team is not opening a bank account then I do not see why it would need to have a tax id#.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic

I am an attorney and I volunteer time to answer general questions about U.S. Federal income tax issues of nonprofit 501(c)(3) public charities only. Those questions could be about establishing and maintaining legal requirements for such non-profit organizations in the United States, including Internal Revenue service filings and requirements. I will not be working on this free forum to answer questions about Nonprofit's possible unrelated or for-profit businesses or how to fill out forms. This forum is only for general questions about federal tax law, not as the law applies to your specific situation. If you do not make your question public then I will not be spending much of my donated time on answers that would not benefit the public. If you have other questions, please contact me at I will reply from my email. In any case, do not reveal confidential information to me until after I have contracted with you to provide personal legal services. My responses on this forum are intended to be general statements of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, and do not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather extensive information about the situation. To search my previous answers you can do a Google search by "" without the quotes and then add your search terms before hitting enter.

I have been practicing law and especially the law of nonprofit organizations since 1990 when I was admitted to the New York Bar and I have maintained my status with the Bar since that time.

B.S. Columbia University in New York City, 1970

J.D. (Law Degree) Brooklyn Law School, 1990 -- Cum Laude.