Nonprofit Law/changing/ movingto another state

Question
QUESTION: I had an tiny organization, 501c3 that i started in IOWA.
  I actually was in a third world country doing the organization. All office and banking was done in IOWA. I had been told that the treasurer and secretary quit and closed the bank account. Because of some unrelated personal reasons. I was ill at the time and was stuck to do anything about it. The IRS papers come to me in Maryland with no problem but the organization was not functioning for a few years. I was just informed that the bank account was never closed. BY huge question is it possible to change a non profits office ,to another state. I know that different states have different rules. Can i change from iowa to maryland. and if so how.  thank you so much for your time and effort.

ANSWER: If the corporation is still active in Iowa, then you would simply need to register as a "foreign", meaning "out-of-state" corporation wishing to do business in Maryland.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.    

QUESTION: I still have a few questions. Do you mean i register with the Iowa secretary of state?   Do i do that by letter or do i have to get a specific form.

thank you so much!

Answer
You are welcome.

First you would need to obtain from the Iowa Secretary of State a Certificate of Good Standing.  then you would register the corporation with the State of Maryland, Corporations Division. Maryland calls it a "Tax-Exempt Nonstock Corporation"
https://egov.maryland.gov/Easy

Fee for "Foreign Corporation" registrations
http://pages.citebite.com/n1l3t9a4x4usm

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic