You are here:

Nonprofit Law/Form 1023, Public Charity supported by general public


Our non-profit organization is supported ONLY by general public. Should any supplemental documents be attached to Form1023? If yes, which ones? (all support is as privet donors checks and cash, deposited on the organization's bank account).

The Application for Exemption is at:

The instructions to Form 1023 are at:

You will see in the first column of page 4 a list of what is to be included
--- Start of Excerpt ---
Form 8821, Tax Information
Authorization (if needed).
Expedite request (if needed).
Application (Form 1023, Checklist, and
Schedules A through H, as required).
Organizing document.
Amendments to organizing document
in chronological order.
Bylaws or other rules of operation and
Documentation of nondiscriminatory
policy for schools, as required by
Schedule B.
Form 5768, Election/Revocation of
Election by an Eligible Section 501(c)(3)
Organization To Make Expenditures To
Influence Legislation (if filing).
All other attachments, including
explanations, financial data, and printed
materials or publications.
---End of Excerpt---
Normally, the only required enclosures are Articles of Incorporation (or other organizing document) and Bylaws and, if adopted, a copy of your conflict of interest policy. The conflict of interest enclosure is discussed in Part V, line 5a of the Application.  If your financial data fits on the Form 1023 you would not need to put that in an attachment, but you would need an attachment for explanations when you see questions on the form that call for an explanation or details.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Harvey Mechanic


DO NOT GIVE ME INFORMATION THAT YOU WANT KEPT CONFIDENTIAL. I am an attorney and I volunteer time to answer general questions about U.S. Federal income tax issues of nonprofit 501(c)(3) public charities only. Those questions could be about establishing and maintaining legal requirements for such non-profit organizations in the United States, including Internal Revenue service filings and requirements. I will not be working on this free forum to answer questions about Nonprofit's possible unrelated or for-profit businesses or how to fill out forms. This forum is only for general questions about federal tax law, not as the law applies to your specific situation. If you do not make your question public then I will not be spending much of my donated time on answers that would not benefit the public. If you have other questions, please contact me at I will reply from my email. In any case, do not reveal confidential information to me until after I have contracted with you to provide personal legal services. My responses on this forum are intended to be general statements of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, and do not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather extensive information about the situation. To search my previous answers you can do a Google search by "" without the quotes and then add your search terms before hitting enter.


I have been practicing law and especially the law of nonprofit organizations since 1990 when I was admitted to the New York Bar and I have maintained my status with the Bar since that time.


B.S. Columbia University in New York City, 1970

J.D. (Law Degree) Brooklyn Law School, 1990 -- Cum Laude.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]