Nonprofit Law/non profit bank deposits

Question
Are there any standards for how soon after receiving income that the funds should be deposited in a bank account? If no rules, is there a general guideline for making deposits?

Answer
I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions relating to IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations.  In fact, there is no IRS regulation that requires that funds have to be deposited into a bank account.

As for guidelines, which, of course, are not in my domain (the law), I suggest you check with accountants. I do agree with the accountancy firm that advised, "The amount of cash receipts a business receives each day will dictate how often a deposit is necessary. However, the length of time between bank deposits should not exceed one week."
http://pages.citebite.com/n1o3i5w4p5rxl

In any case, the law imposes the burden on the exempt organization to show the use of its funds. See, for example, Church of Gospel Ministry, Inc. v. United States
640 F. Supp. 96 - Dist. Court, Dist. of Columbia, 1986
http://goo.gl/e1oKB

There, the court wrote "CGM has failed to keep records adequate to determine the full nature of its operations and failed to show that its operations do not inure in part to the private benefit of its officers." http://goo.gl/WxCtV

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic