Nonprofit Law/Non profit giving free race registration to fundraisers

Question

I volunteer with the non-profit Vibha (http://www.vibha.org). Our focus is on underprivileged children.

I have a question about fund raising.

We have an annual race (5K/10K/Half Marathon). This year, we are thinking about introducing a concept where a runner can sign up to raise some amount of money and enter the race for free. Basically, a runner can approach his friends/family and ask them to support his/her run. If they reach a specific target, their registration fee to the race is waived.

We are debating if this is acceptable, i.e. can we give a free entry to a race to somebody who goes out and raises funds for us?

There are models like Team In Training where a fundraiser is provided training/air fare/hotel etc. in exchange for going out and raising funds. I am thinking that our model is the same.

Can somebody please throw some light on this issue?

Thank you so much,
-raja.

Answer
If the entry fee is substantial and, in exchange for certain fundraising, then that may be compensation that is taxable. "It is also possible that amounts credited to a participant's account due to fundraising would constitute income from services, and could result in employment taxes." http://goo.gl/3Dx9o

But the amount of the entry fee may be so small that there would be no tax consequences as to employment taxes.

See also http://pages.citebite.com/r8v8l8p8pdin
which is a newspaper story describing a situation when the State
determined that organizations that promised "volunteers" gifts over
the value of $50 per quarter were subject to state wage regulations
for employees. That was an Oregon case but other state laws are
similar. That case was about a sports foundation's "volunteers"
being promised a season pass if they work roughly two dozen days
helping put on races at the ski area.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic