Nonprofit Law/Executive Director

Question
Is the Executive Director of a 501(c)(3) entity considered an officer and hence should be classified as an employee or can they be classified as an independent contractor?
Is their any official guidance that states how the Executive Director should be treated?

Answer
The IRS explains at
http://www.irs.gov/charities/article/0,,id=131083,00.html
--- Start of Excerpt ---
An exempt organization (EO) may have officers such as a
president, vice-president, secretary, treasurer, executive
director, and CEO (chief executive officer).  As used here, the
term officer includes anyone who holds a position of trust,
authority, or command within an organization.

The Internal Revenue Code defines corporate officers as employees
for FICA, FUTA, and FITW purposes.  However, an officer of a
corporation who does not perform any services or performs only
minor services and who neither receives nor is entitled to
receive, directly or indirectly, any remuneration, is not an
employee of the corporation.
---End of Excerpt---

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic