Nonprofit Law/foreign non-profits

How may a foreign non.profit participate in a USA submission of letter of interest for grants? Does it has to become a 501(c)(3) public charity? How is that accomplished?
Thank you very much in advance

Grants from U.S. sources almost always only go to U.S. organizations that have received a determination letter from the IRS that the organization is exempt as a 501(c)(3) organization. But, to know for sure, your can inquire from U.S. grantors as to whether they would consider making grants to foreign charities.  If not, what we do is set-up a U.S. organization that obtains such 501(c)(3) organization status and that organization can fund a foreign nonprofit under certain circumstances. See the IRS publication at for details about international grants to and international activities of U.S. exempt organizations, and, especially page 3-4 about grants to foreign organizations starting on page 3 at "Deductibility - Control Rules".

I would be willing to work on the set-up, but I would need to spend a substantial amount of time and that would be beyond the scope of my offer of free services.  If you want to inquire about hiring me for such work, please contact me directly to the email address below.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic

I am an attorney and I volunteer time to answer general questions about U.S. Federal income tax issues of nonprofit 501(c)(3) public charities only. Those questions could be about establishing and maintaining legal requirements for such non-profit organizations in the United States, including Internal Revenue service filings and requirements. I will not be working on this free forum to answer questions about Nonprofit's possible unrelated or for-profit businesses or how to fill out forms. This forum is only for general questions about federal tax law, not as the law applies to your specific situation. If you do not make your question public then I will not be spending much of my donated time on answers that would not benefit the public. If you have other questions, please contact me at I will reply from my email. In any case, do not reveal confidential information to me until after I have contracted with you to provide personal legal services. My responses on this forum are intended to be general statements of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, and do not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather extensive information about the situation. To search my previous answers you can do a Google search by "" without the quotes and then add your search terms before hitting enter.

I have been practicing law and especially the law of nonprofit organizations since 1990 when I was admitted to the New York Bar and I have maintained my status with the Bar since that time.

B.S. Columbia University in New York City, 1970

J.D. (Law Degree) Brooklyn Law School, 1990 -- Cum Laude.