Nonprofit Law/Kickstarter for 501c3 Fundraising

Question
We are a not for profit historic preservation, restoration site and wish to generate exposure and fund raising benefits from utilizing the social media application kickstarter.  
Are there any legal reasons that would preclude setting up a kickstarter fund raising page? Thank you.

Answer
I see on Kickstarter's website "We’re a for-profit company based in New York City’s Lower East Side. We spend our time making Kickstarter a little bit better every day, answering questions from backers and creators, and finding new projects to share. If a project is successfully funded, we apply a 5% fee to the funds collected."
http://www.kickstarter.com/hello?ref=homepage

Kickstarter appears to be what the IRS and the State of New Jersey refers to as "professional fund raisers" and, therefore, you would need to answer "yes" on certain State and Federal income tax forms and State Charitable Organization Annual reports if you are funded through them or if they even hold funds with your permission after soliciting funds for you. States highly regulate such activities and the charities that work with such professional fund raisers. See, for New Jersey http://pages.citebite.com/h1s6n9c4w6teq

You may, however, certainly use professional fund raisers.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic