Nonprofit Law/Love Offerings on 1099 Misc

Question
Our church have full-time preachers, they are not employee (No W2s) and not on regular salary.  They receive monthly Love Offerings and medical compensation from church general fund (these funds are tax deductible for the church members who made the donations).

Q. Does church need to issue 1099 Misc for all the monthly love offerings and medical compensation at year end to preachers ?

Thanks !!

Answer
See IRS Publication 517 "Social Security and Other Information
for the Members of the Clergy and Other Religious Workers" at:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p517.pdf
starting on page 8 is "Income tax: Income and Expenses"

It appears from what you wrote that the preachers are members of the clergy. If not, let me know.  In any case, it appears that the church is giving the funds only because of the work of those two and, therefore, the value is included in Form 1099-Misc that would need to be filed by the church if the value annually is $600 or more.

See  http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1099msc.pdf which is the
IRS' instructions for form 1099-Misc.

The IRS Publication 15-B discusses fringe benefits which are taxable, as what you mentioned, and is
available at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p15b.pdf

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic