Nonprofit Law/Making decision with out a legal board

Question
QUESTION: How can a non-profit make the decision to dissolve, merge or partner without the proper number of board members per the bylaws/articles of incorporation? Can the executive committee make this decision?

ANSWER: I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions relating to IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. Your issue is controlled by state law and states may differ somewhat with how they would treat such issues. Even though this forum is not for such state law issues, if you give me your state's name, I may be able to direct you. Also you should give the exact wording in the bylaws/articles of incorporation that you are referring to, as many clauses are not impediments unless someone on the board objects.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.    

QUESTION: We are in Virginia.

The  Bylaws state a minimum of 9 Board Members with a quorum of 5. We only have Five members. Over the past two years we get a few more and the next meeting even more leave.

Thank you for the quick response.

Answer
The Virginia Nonstock Corporations Act is available at:
http://goo.gl/YfmPy
and specifically see 13.1-855 as to "Number and election of directors":
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+13.1-855
Therefore, the proper system would be that the Board bring back the number of Board members to 9, which must be done, if for example 4 had resigned, by the remaining board members. In the alternative, the remaining Board members would amend the bylaws.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic