Nonprofit Law/Mistake on 1023

Question
We are a very small public charity that because of lack of broad public support has fallen to private operating foundation status. We just filed a 1023 for the first time, but have not gotten a determination yet. It is now time to file our first 990PF. However in filling in the 990PF it was realized certain numbers on the balance sheet of the 1023 were filled in wrong. Because of this mistake the net assets number for the last year shown on the 1023 will not line up with the beginning of the year number for our first 990PF. Is this a problem?

Answer
After you receive the filing receipt from the IRS that they have received your Form 1023 application for exemption you can mail or fax to the IRS the corrections.  That is the instruction from the IRS to their agents who are asked about such matters:
--- Start of Excerpt ---
If the caller's question involves... pending applications...

TEGE Correspondence Unit
550 Main Street, Room 4024
Cincinnati, OH 45202

Fax 513-263-4330
IRS
Attn. EO Entity, MS 6273
Ogden, UT 84201
---End of Excerpt---
http://goo.gl/rgUV3

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic