Nonprofit Law/Non Profit Swim club

Question
We have a child who belongs to a local swim club and it is a non profit organization.  We pay a lot of fees and do fund raisers and have been working toward having a new pool built per the non profit Director. He informed the parents that we had money to create an account toward building a new pool, thousands of dollars about 2 years ago. They got quotes on building the pool and got everyone all excited. They even showed us designs.  Then last year he told the parents all the money was gone. The parents were told they were not allowed to have access to see where the money went. Who can see how and where non profits spend their funds? How can we tell what happened to the money for the pool?  How can we tell if he was even telling us the truth to begin with about having money for a pool?  When we have parent meetings they will never discuss monies/finances.

Answer
Do the parents (members) have the right to vote for the members of the Board of Directors? If yes, inform me whether the organization is a Florida Not-for-Profit Corporation.  After you give me that information I will reply further.

But, in any case, you can you can go to http://www.guidestar.org and you can register there without fee and do a basic search and see the annual Form 990 that the organization would be filing if they have enough gross income.

If the local swim club obtains substantial funding from a governmental entity, let me know also.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic