Nonprofit Law/Sponsorship

Question
I have a sponsor for my son's all-star team from a youth organization. Can they sponsor that specific team or do they need to give the funds to the organization an then the organization to the team. If they can give to the specific team how will they be able to do so, thanks

Answer
If a donor wants to give a donation that would be deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes that sponsor would need to give the funds to the 501(c)(3) organization that has received a determination letter from the IRS that the organization is exempt.

Publication 78, Cumulative List of Organizations described in
Section 170(c) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, is a list of
organizations eligible to receive tax-deductible charitable
contributions. This online version is offered to help you conduct
a more efficient search of these organizations.
http://apps.irs.gov/app/eos/

After the organization's application for exemption is approved,
then the organization is listed in IRS Publication 78.

From the IRS:
"Some entities eligible to receive tax-deductible charitable
contributions may not be listed in Exempt Organizations Select
Check (Pub. 78 data)."
http://goo.gl/DuRof
The list below on that page describes some of the classes of
organizations.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic