You are here:

Nonprofit Law/State Non-Profit Status


I am president of a non-profit association.  We have Federal Tax Exempt status and tax exempt status in the State of Texas.  This is where our association started 30 years ago.  Our soon-to-be new treasurer, who lives in North Carolina, lives in the State of North Carolina.  Our current address is the address of our current treasurer.  If we change our address to the new treasurer's address, do we need to apply for tax exempt staus in that state?

I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions relating to IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. Therefore, I am assuming that you are referring to a 501(c)(3) organization.  If you maintain your status with the State of Texas then you can change your mailing address with the IRS to another state and you would still be able to maintain your 501(c)(3) organization status with the IRS. is the IRS list of the States and there  are the searchable, state-by-state files of exempt organizations from the IRS.  There you could download the Excel or text file that includes organizations in the state with names starting within a alphabetic range. You will see many corporations there with mailing addresses in States where they are not incorporated.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Harvey Mechanic


DO NOT GIVE ME INFORMATION THAT YOU WANT KEPT CONFIDENTIAL. I am an attorney and I volunteer time to answer general questions about U.S. Federal income tax issues of nonprofit 501(c)(3) public charities only. Those questions could be about establishing and maintaining legal requirements for such non-profit organizations in the United States, including Internal Revenue service filings and requirements. I will not be working on this free forum to answer questions about Nonprofit's possible unrelated or for-profit businesses or how to fill out forms. This forum is only for general questions about federal tax law, not as the law applies to your specific situation. If you do not make your question public then I will not be spending much of my donated time on answers that would not benefit the public. If you have other questions, please contact me at I will reply from my email. In any case, do not reveal confidential information to me until after I have contracted with you to provide personal legal services. My responses on this forum are intended to be general statements of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, and do not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather extensive information about the situation. To search my previous answers you can do a Google search by "" without the quotes and then add your search terms before hitting enter.


I have been practicing law and especially the law of nonprofit organizations since 1990 when I was admitted to the New York Bar and I have maintained my status with the Bar since that time.


B.S. Columbia University in New York City, 1970

J.D. (Law Degree) Brooklyn Law School, 1990 -- Cum Laude.

©2017 All rights reserved.