Nonprofit Law/State Non-Profit Status

Question
I am president of a non-profit association.  We have Federal Tax Exempt status and tax exempt status in the State of Texas.  This is where our association started 30 years ago.  Our soon-to-be new treasurer, who lives in North Carolina, lives in the State of North Carolina.  Our current address is the address of our current treasurer.  If we change our address to the new treasurer's address, do we need to apply for tax exempt staus in that state?

Answer
I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions relating to IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. Therefore, I am assuming that you are referring to a 501(c)(3) organization.  If you maintain your status with the State of Texas then you can change your mailing address with the IRS to another state and you would still be able to maintain your 501(c)(3) organization status with the IRS.

http://pages.citebite.com/g1u0w1u3w1ddi is the IRS list of the States and there  are the searchable, state-by-state files of exempt organizations from the IRS.  There you could download the Excel or text file that includes organizations in the state with names starting within a alphabetic range. You will see many corporations there with mailing addresses in States where they are not incorporated.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic