Nonprofit Law/501(c)(3) public charity receiving funds from UK charity

Question
As I understand from your answers to previous questions, there is no legal restriction on a 501(c)(3) charity receiving funds from a foreign charity, as long as the country of origin is not on the US Treasury's sanctions list (in this case the funds would be coming from the UK - which would be fine, I assume!)?

I was wondering if there is any documentation you could direct me to about this?

Answer
It is not that there is any law stating that such an act may be done.  Here in the United States, unless something is specifically prohibited by law, then it is allowed.

I don't know, off the top of my head, of any published case that deals specifically with funding from the UK charity to a U.S. 501(c)(3) organization, but, generally, the support of a U.S. 501(c)(3) organization is discussed by the IRS in its Publication 557 "Tax Exempt Status for Your Organization" which is available at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p557.pdf and we would have expected, if the IRS knew about issues of funding from the U.K. that it would have mentioned that there or in http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4221pc.pdf - "Compliance Guide for 501(c)(3) Public Charities."  If you want to look directly at the regulations, though, there are not many and they are available at http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/26/1.501(c)(3)-1 (and the few sections around that.

www.ustreas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/programs
has the list of countries that the U.S. Treasury Department has on
its sanctions list and, if you are dealing with parties in any of
the listed countries, you would need to review the details as to
whether you would be able to send or receive funds from persons in
those countries. (The U.K. is not on that list).

I would be willing to work on your matter further, but I would need to spend a substantial amount of time researching U.S. cases to find something about U.K. funding and that would be beyond the scope of my offer of free services.  If you want to inquire about hiring me for such work, please contact me directly to the email address below.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic