Nonprofit Law/Charity Profit Sharing

Question
Out non-profit school foundation wants to buy a one-room school house from a church (501c3 charity).  We are not a 501c3 yet but are applying for the 501c3 designation.  Can we agree to give 30% of any operating profits from the school to the church ? We plan to renovate the school and then rent it out to the community for meetings.  We don't anticipate any profits (or at least it will be minimum).  Just want to know if this arrangement is legal and once we become a 501c3 if it will still be legal ?

Answer
As the church is a 501(c)(3) organization you can certainly give any annual operating surpluses to the church as part of your contract to purchase real property. Please don't use the word "profits" though as it confuses the issues sometimes.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic