Nonprofit Law/Nonprofit/For Profit Co-existing..

Question
QUESTION: Hello,

Last year we started up a For-Profit company that develops lacrosse players and takes them to showcases trying to get them recruited by colleges. We have come across a large number of players that cannot afford this type of service.

My Question is would we be able to open another company Non-Profit to setup a fund for those players who cannot afford to play and would that Non-Profit fund be able to pay the For-Profit company so those players can play.. just want to know the legality of it since we would own both companies. For example a player cannot afford to pay the fee of say $1000 to play summer lacrosse. The Non-Profit awards him a scholarship of $1000.. can the Non-profit pay out the $1000 scholarship to the For profit?

Any help you can give me would be appreciated..

Demian

ANSWER: It appears that the lacrosse players are all youth under the age of 19.  They could form a nonprofit booster organization. My summary of IRS regulations relating to 501c3 booster organizations is at http://goo.gl/RO1ez -- you may be interested to read that.

No one owns a nonprofit and your nonprofit could not control it. See
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/eotopica93.pdf starting on pages 11 "Private Facility Owners" which discusses prohibited private benefit and excessive control of the booster organization by such private facility owners.

If you want help with the set-up let me know. I would be willing to work that, but I would need to spend a substantial amount of time and that would be beyond the scope of my offer of free services.  If you want to inquire about hiring me for such work, please contact me directly to the email address below.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.    

QUESTION: I am still confused... If the booster was setup the players themselves would not be doing the fund raising, the for profit company would be finding people to fund the booster..
a. would the owner of a for profit be allowed to be on the board of non-profit an be able to decide which players would receive the funding and then in turn pay the for profit for the services the layer needs?

Answer
Booster organizations certainly do not need any beneficiaries to solicit contributions.  The owner of the for-profit could solicit donations for the nonprofit.

The owner of a for profit could be on the board as long as there are a majority of board members who are not related to anyone who is working for the for-profit or related by blood or marriage.  But, after you read that IRS internal memo about excessive control by private facility owners, you would see that it would indicate too much control by the for profit entity if the owner of the for-profit would be able to decide which players would receive the funding and then in turn pay the for profit for the services the layer needs.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic