Nonprofit Law/STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS

Question
WHAT IS THE STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS FOR A NON PROFIT 501 (C-3) FOR ANY PRIVATE INUREMENT OR EXCESS BENEFIT TRANSACTIONS. THEY DO NOT NEED TO FILE 990.

I talked with you before and am in discussions with my church and they brought this up?

Thanks Joe

Answer
Whether a 501(c)(3) organization is required to file Form 990 or not, they are still subject to the regulations as to private inurement and excess benefit.  I don't know if I sent you the links to the regulations, but they do not refer to filings but to 501(c)(3) organizations.

As to the limitations on the IRS taking action, see IRS publication 4221-pc "Compliance Guide for 501(c)(3) Public Charities" which is available at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4221pc.pdf on  pdf page 32:
--- Start of Excerpt ---
Generally, the statute of limitations runs three years after the date the return is due or filed, whichever is later. An organiza­tion may be required to retain records longer for other legal purposes, including state or local tax purposes.
---End of Excerpt---

That 3 years relates to limitations as to returns or filings, but does not apply when the issue is something other than what is in a filing. It is not the burden of the IRS to show a limitation of action.  The burden, in a defense, is on the taxpayer.  Therefore, if the organization thinks they have found something in the Code or Treasury regulations that provides a statutory basis for a limitation on action, please send me that link and I will reply further.  Otherwise, there is no applicable limitation. There is nothing, for example, as to a limitation in the Regulations as to Excess Benefit transactions.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/4958

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic