Nonprofit Law/501(c)(5) Conversion

Question
I am working on an entity that appears to be misclassified as a 501(c)(5) and really should be a 501(c)(3).  What would be the process in converting this entity.  My understanding is that the Articles and Bylaws would need to change and be refiled as well as a new Form 1023.  Would this be a brand new entity or would I have to go back to inception to provide the IRS with past fianancial data.....the organization is over 30 years old so the latter would be impractical.  Thank you.

Answer
The Articles of Incorporation would need to be amended and filed with the State.  Then the bylaws would be amended.  The the organization would file with the IRS Form 1023 application for exemption as a 501(c)(3) organization. You would have the same entity and the IRS will only require the last 4 years financial figures. See the instructions to the Application for
Exemption which is available at
www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1023.pdf and on page 12 in the first column:
--- Start of Excerpt ---
f you have been in existence for 4 or more years, complete the A. Statement of Revenues
and Expenses for your most recently completed year and each of the three years immediately before it for a total of four years of financial information.
---End of Excerpt---

You would then give your projected financial figures to evidence that you would be acting as a 501(c)(3) organization.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic