Nonprofit Law/501c3 - board members and employee relationships

Question
Hello, I am researching 501c3 requirements and I am confused as to whether or not my husband and I can be on the board and he still be used in a research capacity and compensated as an employee.  I am aware of the suggestion of less than 50% of the board members being related but it seems that this could be satisfied by having 5 members total and only 2 being related.  So if I am correct in that this would be acceptable, would it also be acceptable that he be hired as an employee?  If not, is it possible that he could be paid as a consultant or hired to perform the needed research?

Answer
The IRS would allow a 5 member board with 2 persons related, one of who is receiving compensation as an employee.

I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions relating to IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. Your issue is also controlled by state law and states may differ somewhat with how they would treat such issues. Even though this forum is not for such state law issues, I may be able to direct you. Some states, like California, are more restricted.  If you are looking into forming an Arizona Nonprofit Corporation, Arizona Code Title 10 Chapters 24 - 42 has the State Law for Nonprofit Corporations and it is available at:
http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ArizonaRevisedStatutes.asp?Title=10 and, specifically, you would read the requirements at Chapter 31 Article 1, which is entitled, "Board of Directors".

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic