Nonprofit Law/Car donation

Question
I am the President of an animal welfare non profit organization (501 c 3 per IRS). I would like to donate my truck to this organization but I am not sure if the IRS would consider this a conflict of interest, or what the law says regarding this type of donation.

Could you clarify the situation for me.

Thanks so much for your service.

Answer
 A conflict of interest is present whenever a director, and in
some states an officer) or a close relative of that person has a
material personal interest in a proposed contract or transaction
to which the 501(c)(3) organization may be a party. Some conflicts
do not result in any illegality. We would need to look at the
decisions of the organization or the Directors to decide if their
actions are illegal. This forum is only for federal tax questions
regarding 501(c)(3) public charities as I have explained in my
profile.

The IRS has published at
www.irs.gov/irm/part7/irm_07-025-003-cont02.html#d0e4718
---Start of Excerpt--
Where an exempt organization engages in a transaction with an
insider and there is a purpose to benefit the insider rather than
the organization, inurement occurs even though the transaction
ultimately proves profitable for the exempt organization. The test
is not ultimate profit or loss but whether, at every stage of the
transaction, those controlling the organization guarded its
interests and dealt with related parties at arm's-length.
---End of Excerpt--

Your organization does not value the property and does not indicate any value on the receipt. An officer of the organization would simply give you an acknowledgment of the make and model and whether new or used. See the IRS Publication "Charitable Donations --- Substantiation
and Disclosure Requirements"
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1771.pdf
on pdf page 5
---Start of Excerpt--
... an organization can assist
a donor by providing a timely, written statement containing
the following information:
1.  name of organization
...
3. description (but not the value) of non-cash contribution
4.  statement that no goods or services were provided by the
organization in return for the contribution, if that was the
case
---End of Excerpt--

Therefore, there is no conflict of interest.  The details, for the organization are in IRS Publication "A Charity's Guide to Vehicle Donations" which is available at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4302.pdf

and the information for donors is in the companion Publication 4303 which is available at
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4303.pdf

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic