Nonprofit Law/Mis-use of donated funds

Question
The president of a local non-profit animal rescue organization recently received a cash donation in the amount of 10,000 dollars, which she promptly used to make renovations to the two car garage of her personal residence.  Is this illegal and who should I report it to if it is?

Answer
Yes, that is highly illegal. Complaints could go to your State's Attorney General's Office as
that office generally oversees charities within the state. If the
action is criminal then your local district attorney may be
interested in prosecuting as at:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4xNuGSpiyzgT3BybmZKSGxNa1U
which is a pdf file of 4 different news stories.

Complaints to the IRS regarding Exempt Organizations are discussed
at
http://www.irs.gov/irs/article/0,,id=178241,00.html
A referral of an exempt organization may be made by submitting Form
13909, Tax-Exempt Organization Complaint
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f13909.pdf

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic