Nonprofit Law/Non-Profit Competition

Question
Shortly after September 11, 2001, my company ceased operating a small passenger ferry due to my recall to active military duty.  Our operation provided passenger service to an off-shore museum operated by a non-profit.  During my absence, the non-profit purchased their own vessel and is unlikely to renegotiate a contract for our services after I am released from active duty as a result of this purchase.  The passenger ferry operated by the non-profit is in direct competition with my for-profit excursion boat operation.  Is this considered unfair competition by the non-profit?  Incidentally, the passenger fare charged by this non-profit is comparable with the fares that we charged for the same service.

Answer
I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions relating to IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. Your issues are controlled by state law and states may differ somewhat with how they would treat such issues. Even though this forum is not for such state law issues, I will inform you that I do not see that the museum did anything that could be considered unfair or illegal in establishing the ferry service for the convenience of their staff and visitors.  

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic