Nonprofit Law/PTA donation to school

Question
QUESTION: I have been told by our state PTA office that our PTA can't donate money to the public (tax-exempt) elementary school that we support because they are not a 501c3.  Is this true?

We donated the money to the school prior to disbanding our PTA (and then establishing a PTO) and the PTA is saying this was not a legitimate donation and the money should go to them (the state PTA).

Thanks for your help!

ANSWER: I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions relating to IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. Therefore, I am assuming that you are referring to a 501(c)(3) organization.

Your organization, in accordance with your Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws, may grant funds to any entity that is able to receive donations that deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes. As to charitable deductions, see IRS Publication 526 "Charitable
Donations"  which is available at:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p526.pdf
and, specifically at the top of page 2 on the right hand side is a chart "Table 1"
that shows, "Deductible as Charitable Contributions" some items, and "Federal, state, and local
governments, if your contribution is solely for public purposes" is on that list.

The national office of the PTA has published on page 49 of their 82 page "Money Matters:
--- Start of Excerpt ---
PTAs are often called upon to finance programs and purchase
needed equipment that tight school budgets do not have the
money for, and each PTA must decide what it will do. Before
approving proposals for material aid to the school or community,
a PTA should consider whether or not the proposed equipment
or service is a public responsibility.
---End of Excerpt---
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4xNuGSpiyzgM2NhRng0U25OTUE

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.    

QUESTION: Thank you for your response - it is very helpful.  

The state PTA president is stating the following:  

"In accordance to bylaws, #Article III Basic Polices letter F. " Upon dissolution of this association, after paying or adequately providing for the debts and obligations of the association, the remaining assets shall be distributed to one or more nonprofit funds, foundations, or organizations that have established  their tax exempt status under Section 501 c 3 of the Internal Revenue Code and whose purpose are in accordance with those of National PTA."

It seems her interpretation is that donations must go to a 501c3; however, I believe the "or" in the sentence includes nonprofit funds or foundations that are not a 501c3 and that a school would qualify on those grounds.  

Have you ever seen this situation before?  Do you know if there are any precedents?  

Thanks again!

Answer
Your earlier question referred to your organization giving a donation.  Now you are citing to a sub-set of donations, which are during the process of dissolution.  Is your corporation dissolving?  If not, that bylaw does not apply to donations in the normal course of your activities - it only applies during dissolution.

If you are dissolving, the bylaws provide that you can not give your remaining assets to a governmental entity per se, but only to 501(c)(3) organizations.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic