Nonprofit Law/Schedule B. School (Form 1023)

Question
Greetings. I am filling out Form 1023. It is unclear to me whether I need to include "Schedule B. Schools..." with our 1023 application. Although we plan to have a school in the future, and it is one of the items listed in our bylaws of activities, it is not the primary emphasis of our organization - it would only be a part of our overal vision and mission. Additionally, we do not have the school in operation at this time. Part III. Line 19 states: "Do you or will you operate a school? If “Yes,” complete Schedule B. Answer “Yes,” whether you operate a school as your main function or as a secondary activity." The answer is yes; however when I look at Schedule B. it seems to be written for organizations that already have a school in operation (see line line 1a for example). MY QUESTION IS: DO I NEED TO INCLUDE SCHEDULE B? IF SO, DO I FILL IT OUT AS IF THE SCHOOL WERE IN OPERATION NOW? Thank you.

Answer
are sincere now. See the  instructions to the Application
for Exemption which is available at
www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1023.pdf and on page 12 column
1 they state that you need to put in "reasonable and good
faith estimate of your future finances for your current
year and each year you have not existed for a
total of 3 years of financial information."

If you plan to have a school during that period, then you would complete Schedule B.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic