Nonprofit Law/just wondering

Question
Can a non for profit organization such as the elks or American legion charge to get into there club to drink

Answer
It appears that you are asking whether a nonprofit organization may allow members of the public to pay an admission fee to enter their premises.  The answer depends upon what subsection of IRC 501(c) under which the organization was incorporated. You can find that in the articles of incorporation.  See IRS Publication 557 "Tax Exempt Status for Your Organization"
www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p557.pdf
starting on page 65 as to the different types of 501(c) organizations. The designation of the organization would also be on the IRS exemption determination letter.

But generally it appears that you are referring to either of two types of organizations. The IRS writes about the 501(c)(7) recreational or social organizations at
http://www.irs.gov/irm/part7/irm_07-025-007.html
Not that such an organization may be granted and be able to maintain exempt status easily only if it does not receive more than 35% of its gross receipts from outside its membership and receives no more than 15% of its gross receipts from nonmember use of club facilities. http://www.irs.gov/irm/part7/irm_07-025-007.html#d0e461

The other type of organization is called a Veterans Organization
http://www.irs.gov/irm/part7/irm_07-025-019.html
and there we see:
--- Start of Excerpt ---
Substantial unrelated activities may prohibit exemption. The following are examples of unrelated activities that may affect exemption:

Rents out its facilities to the general public;

Facilities, such as bar and dining facilities, open to the general public;
---End of Excerpt---
http://pages.citebite.com/b1a8p6d6w2gvm

Of course, those organizations would also need to consider their state alcoholic beverage control laws.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic