Nonprofit Law/501c3

Question
What are the restrictions on sending money to foreign NGO? Does the NGO have to be qualified by IRS? Can I be a adviser to the foreign NGO if I am the owner of the 501c3 which is sending the money to the NGO?

Answer
If a U.S. donor wants a charitable deduction it must donate funds to a U.S. 501(c)(3) organization (recognized as such by the IRS), not directly to the foreign organization. No one owns a U.S.501(c)(3) organization, but you could be an officer of both the U.S. and foreign organization. The U.S. organization would have at least 3 directors, with control of the board not in persons related by blood, marriage or other business.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic