Nonprofit Law/Amending By-Laws

I am President of a 501(c)(3) in Oregon and we now find it necessary to amend our by-laws. The problem is our by-laws are silent as to the process for accomplishing this.  They are also silent about who needs to be notified when this has been accomplished and if we are required to do so,whether the entirety of the by-laws including the amendment(s)need to be distributed.

It seems it would certainly be appropriate to include this language in our present by-laws for clarification.

Thank you for your assistance.

Is your organization an Oregon Nonprofit Corporation?  If so, see
which is the Oregon Nonprofit Corporation Law on the state site.
Specifically note 65.061 as to "Bylaws" and there is nothing helpful there.  Therefore, you would notify all of the members of the Board of Directors and, if the changes are going to effect members who have a vote, then notify them also.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic

I am an attorney and I volunteer time to answer general questions about U.S. Federal income tax issues of nonprofit 501(c)(3) public charities only. Those questions could be about establishing and maintaining legal requirements for such non-profit organizations in the United States, including Internal Revenue service filings and requirements. I will not be working on this free forum to answer questions about Nonprofit's possible unrelated or for-profit businesses or how to fill out forms. This forum is only for general questions about federal tax law, not as the law applies to your specific situation. If you do not make your question public then I will not be spending much of my donated time on answers that would not benefit the public. If you have other questions, please contact me at I will reply from my email. In any case, do not reveal confidential information to me until after I have contracted with you to provide personal legal services. My responses on this forum are intended to be general statements of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, and do not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather extensive information about the situation. To search my previous answers you can do a Google search by "" without the quotes and then add your search terms before hitting enter.

I have been practicing law and especially the law of nonprofit organizations since 1990 when I was admitted to the New York Bar and I have maintained my status with the Bar since that time.

B.S. Columbia University in New York City, 1970

J.D. (Law Degree) Brooklyn Law School, 1990 -- Cum Laude.