Nonprofit Law/animal nonprofit

Question
Thank you for taking my question...April 28, 2012 a women willed me 24,710.00 for animals but I had to be a 501c non profit org.,which I was not so I asked an animal org that had 501c status for over 30yrs.  No stimulation were made by the deceased only the monies had to get to an animal group.  I submitted all 2012 and 2013 receipts for animal food, litter and vet visits to try to get reimbursed which total approx. 8,000.  I was told by the tres. of the 501c that was not possible after many back and forth e-mails for three weeks they sent a check for 1,710.00 for part of 2013 petsmart receipts.  I asked them to also set up accounts with three vets, as of today only one has been set up leaving with me with no emergency vets.  I was also told by the tres. that I would be sent gift cards for petsmart. None of this has happened and the check was dated July 25 2012, and written out to only my first initial and last name, there's a hold on the check for two weeks.  Please help my animals are suffering.  I no longer have monies to front for vet bills, food etc.  Thank Josi Tozzi

Answer
Sorry to receive news of your problems, Josi, but it appears that you do not have a signed grant agreement with the organization and, without such a contract, you are pretty much at the whim of the organization and its officers.

I am not sure what the exact wording was in the will of the deceased, but it is contradictory for a will to state that money would go to an individual and also a 501(c)(3) organization at the same time.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic