Nonprofit Law/Employee Pay

Question
I'm on the council for a Thrift Shop with 501(c)(3) status.  We are looking into giving our employees a pay raise but worry that this may compromise our non-profit status.  Currently our employee pay takes about 20% of our gross income, and the raises would increase that to about 25%.  From everything I have read, this will have no bearing on our status since none of the employees are on the board and we are following all other applicable laws, but we wanted to make sure this information is correct. Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Answer
I do not see any issue there even if you employees take 35% of the gross income.  The issue for the IRS is whether your shop is only selling items that were donated and that you are not paying employees more than what is reasonable.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic