You are here:

Nonprofit Law/Employer Withholdings


Can an employer withhold money as if the employee is getting the same salary every pay period ?

I will be getting 2 paychecks for coaching, and my employer wants to withhold money as if I will be getting paid semi-monthly all year.

I hope I explained myself properly.

Thank You

I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions relating to IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. Your issue applies to for-profit and nonprofit organizations equally and is a question in an area called "employment law".  You may want to try to find someone on who is a cpa or lawyer in that employment law area and ask the question to that person.

But, as for withholding, you should give your employer a form W-4
which explains the purpose as, "Complete Form W-4 so that your employer can withhold the correct federal income tax from your pay."  You would put in the items and make the computation and then give it to your employer.
--- Start of Excerpt ---
Exemption from withholding. If you are exempt,
complete  only  lines 1, 2, 3, 4, and 7 and sign the
form to validate it.
---End of Excerpt---

As explained on line 7:
--- Start of Excerpt ---
• Last year I had a right to a refund of all federal income tax withheld because I had no tax liability, and
• This year I expect a refund of all federal income tax withheld because I expect to have no tax liability.
If you meet both conditions, write “Exempt” here . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   ▶ 7
---End of Excerpt---

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Harvey Mechanic


DO NOT GIVE ME INFORMATION THAT YOU WANT KEPT CONFIDENTIAL. I am an attorney and I volunteer time to answer general questions about U.S. Federal income tax issues of nonprofit 501(c)(3) public charities only. Those questions could be about establishing and maintaining legal requirements for such non-profit organizations in the United States, including Internal Revenue service filings and requirements. I will not be working on this free forum to answer questions about Nonprofit's possible unrelated or for-profit businesses or how to fill out forms. This forum is only for general questions about federal tax law, not as the law applies to your specific situation. If you do not make your question public then I will not be spending much of my donated time on answers that would not benefit the public. If you have other questions, please contact me at I will reply from my email. In any case, do not reveal confidential information to me until after I have contracted with you to provide personal legal services. My responses on this forum are intended to be general statements of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, and do not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather extensive information about the situation. To search my previous answers you can do a Google search by "" without the quotes and then add your search terms before hitting enter.


I have been practicing law and especially the law of nonprofit organizations since 1990 when I was admitted to the New York Bar and I have maintained my status with the Bar since that time.


B.S. Columbia University in New York City, 1970

J.D. (Law Degree) Brooklyn Law School, 1990 -- Cum Laude.

©2017 All rights reserved.