Nonprofit Law/non profit lease to a profit??

Question
QUESTION: can a non profit lease to a for profit corporation to run a business?
None profit owns land and building for a gun club, can it lease it to a for profit business? In Oregon

ANSWER: You would need to contact the State as for any effect on any real property tax exemption. I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions relating to IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. Even if your nonprofit is not a 501(c)(3) organization the regulations on the IRS level would be similar.  The 501(c)(3) organization may lease its property to a for-profit business as long as it gets at least market-rate rental.  Also there would be particular treatment if the for-profit entity was controlled by persons who were insiders to the nonprofit entity.

Note that, after the lease, the nonprofit would need to continue to be engaged in a substantial amount of activities for which it was granted exemption by the IRS.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.    

QUESTION: ((What do you mean with this statement??)) the nonprofit would need to continue to be engaged in a substantial amount of activities for which it was granted exemption by the IRS.

Answer
Well, there a some organizations that have all of their activities on their property, for example a social club, and, if they leased out that property they would not have any activities.  That would mean the the organization jeopardizes their exemption for inactivity.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic