Nonprofit Law/501c(3) Gymnastics Club

Question
We are a non profit Gymnastics Parent Association.  The way we run our group is simply put, at the beginning of the season we discuss with all members on gymnastics teams the responsibilities associated with being a member of the Parent Association. You can choose to be a part of the group or not. If you choose to be a member of the association you will be expected to be a part of the fundraising activities and volunteer time at the gymnastics meets the association will host throughout the year.  All monies raised go into a general fund and at the end of the year all profit is split evenly among all the members of the association.  This money is not given to the individual person, it is credited towards meet and coaches fees for the following season. This money is not used for tuition expenses as that is separate, tuition money goes to the actual gymnastics club.  My question is, is what we are doing legal for this type of non profit? It is an association people can choose to be a part of or not, and if you are a part of it you will get some benefit in terms of group splitting profits and putting money towards the meet expenses for the year.  As history shows the gymnastics booster clubs were designed to foster and promote national and international amateur gymnastics, to support the gymnastics competitive team.  From what I understand to help financially the many expenses with the sport.  If this money is divided equally among the group, for season meet expenses, is that ok to continue what we are doing? And is it ok to have non participating and participating members, and only participating members splitting the general fund. The option is for all members to join, but several want nothing to do with volunteering and understand they do not get any assistance towards their fees.

Answer
You wrote, "all profit is split evenly among all the members of the association".  Such an operation would be what the IRS calls a cooperative.  A
cooperative is not qualified as a 501(c)(3) organization.  A
501(c)(3) booster organization is to be a charitable, not a
cooperative, organization. A charitable organization, like the Red
Cross, does not require beneficiaries to work for the Red Cross in
order to receive benefits.

In denying exemption to a purported 501(c)(3) organization
in 1992 the IRS at http://goo.gl/e9Mkd
on page 6 stated "The reason you were created and your method of
operation indicate that you are made up of a group of parents who
have joined together to work cooperatively to provide funds to pay
for the participation of their children in athletic events. The
expenses incurred by these children would otherwise have been paid
by the parents.  All parents of competitive team members are
automatically members of your organization.  Accordingly, members
expect to receive a benefit in return for their membership.  You
pay no benefits to non-members."

Another, similar denial of exemption was issued by the IRS in
1990 and may be viewed at
http://goo.gl/3CVwT

My summary of IRS regulations relating to 501c3 booster organizations is at:
http://goo.gl/ehXcH
and you may be interested to read that.Such an operation would be what the IRS calls a cooperative.  A
order to receive benefits.

in 1992 the IRS at http://goo.gl/e9Mkd
pay no benefits to non-members."

1990 and may be viewed at
http://goo.gl/3CVwT

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic