Nonprofit Law/Availability of Membership Information

Question
I need to site the specific law that states that an association must give out members contact information. I believe it is a  recent law within past 5 years. I am a member of an association that will only give out names and street addresses of members. The Board of Trustees has used additional membership contact information during election campaigns for their personal campaign benefit. I believe that all members should have the benefit of phone numbers and email addresses of members to contact them regarding membership business. Postage expense is an unnecessary burden. This is a Florida corporation. Thank you for your assistance.

Answer
I am assuming that you are referring to a Florida Not-for-Profit Corporation. http://goo.gl/pbPdk
is the "Florida Not For Profit Corporation Act" and you would go down to 617.1601 Corporate records and 617.1602 Inspection of records by members and the following sections like 617.1603 Scope of inspection right. 617.1604 Court-ordered inspection. 617.1605 Financial reports for members. 617.1606 Access to records.

We see at 617.1602:
--- Start of Excerpt ---
(2) A member of a corporation is entitled to inspect and copy, during regular business hours at a reasonable location specified by the corporation, any of the following records of the corporation if the member meets the requirements of subsection (3) and gives the corporation written notice of his or her demand at least 10 business days before the date on which he or she wishes to inspect and copy...
(c) The record of members.
---End of Excerpt---

The referred subsection (3) reads:
--- Start of Excerpt ---
3) A member may inspect and copy the records described in subsection (2) only if:
(a) The memberís demand is made in good faith and for a proper purpose;
(b) The member describes with reasonable particularity his or her purpose and the records he or she desires to inspect;
(c) The records are directly connected with the memberís purpose.
---End of Excerpt---

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic