You are here:

Nonprofit Law/establishing a new location for 501(c)(3) and DBA


Thank you for taking the time to look at our question.  Our organization is registered in the state of IL as a 501(c)(3) organization and have a DBA registered with the sec of state of IL.  I have moved to AZ and am starting the process of growing the organization there.  As of September 13, 2013 AZ no longer required organizations that are 501(c)(3) organizations to register with the Sec of State.  I have not yet registered our organization with the Sec of State.  We would like to open a local bank account in the name of the DBA at a credit union, but they require the paperwork returned from a registration with the Sec of State to prove we are a local organization in AZ.  Since we are still registered in IL and plan on staying registered in IL, what are our options to establish a local AZ address?  We are running AZ operations out of out of a house in AZ.

Banks and credit unions have their own procedures and you would need to check with that credit union to find out what paperwork that they would accept.  I am assuming from what you wrote, that your corporation has been incorporated in Illinois. I am surprised by your report that, "As of September 13, 2013 AZ no longer required organizations that are 501(c)(3) organizations to register with the Sec of State." I went to the Secretary of State's page at and there is no change incidated there.  I then called their office to the number listed on that page (602) 542-3026
and the agent told me that she had not heard of that. Therefore, I suggest that you get the URL as to that announcement, or URL of the new law or regulation (effective as of September 13th) and send it to me for my comment.  

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Harvey Mechanic


DO NOT GIVE ME INFORMATION THAT YOU WANT KEPT CONFIDENTIAL. I am an attorney and I volunteer time to answer general questions about U.S. Federal income tax issues of nonprofit 501(c)(3) public charities only. Those questions could be about establishing and maintaining legal requirements for such non-profit organizations in the United States, including Internal Revenue service filings and requirements. I will not be working on this free forum to answer questions about Nonprofit's possible unrelated or for-profit businesses or how to fill out forms. This forum is only for general questions about federal tax law, not as the law applies to your specific situation. If you do not make your question public then I will not be spending much of my donated time on answers that would not benefit the public. If you have other questions, please contact me at I will reply from my email. In any case, do not reveal confidential information to me until after I have contracted with you to provide personal legal services. My responses on this forum are intended to be general statements of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, and do not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather extensive information about the situation. To search my previous answers you can do a Google search by "" without the quotes and then add your search terms before hitting enter.


I have been practicing law and especially the law of nonprofit organizations since 1990 when I was admitted to the New York Bar and I have maintained my status with the Bar since that time.


B.S. Columbia University in New York City, 1970

J.D. (Law Degree) Brooklyn Law School, 1990 -- Cum Laude.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]