Nonprofit Law/establishing a new location for 501(c)(3) and DBA

Question
Thank you for taking the time to look at our question.  Our organization is registered in the state of IL as a 501(c)(3) organization and have a DBA registered with the sec of state of IL.  I have moved to AZ and am starting the process of growing the organization there.  As of September 13, 2013 AZ no longer required organizations that are 501(c)(3) organizations to register with the Sec of State.  I have not yet registered our organization with the Sec of State.  We would like to open a local bank account in the name of the DBA at a credit union, but they require the paperwork returned from a registration with the Sec of State to prove we are a local organization in AZ.  Since we are still registered in IL and plan on staying registered in IL, what are our options to establish a local AZ address?  We are running AZ operations out of out of a house in AZ.

Answer
Banks and credit unions have their own procedures and you would need to check with that credit union to find out what paperwork that they would accept.  I am assuming from what you wrote, that your corporation has been incorporated in Illinois. I am surprised by your report that, "As of September 13, 2013 AZ no longer required organizations that are 501(c)(3) organizations to register with the Sec of State." I went to the Secretary of State's page at http://www.azcc.gov/divisions/corporations/ and there is no change incidated there.  I then called their office to the number listed on that page (602) 542-3026
and the agent told me that she had not heard of that. Therefore, I suggest that you get the URL as to that announcement, or URL of the new law or regulation (effective as of September 13th) and send it to me for my comment.  

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic