Nonprofit Law/Individual Accounts & Fundraising for 501c3

Question
I am a member of a booster club and am confused on that fine line for individual accounts.  We have individual accounts for the members and the pass through funds from parents are not tax-exempt.  Are there any procedures that dictate that the funds collected on behalf of the organization must be distributed equally or can they only be distributed to the participants of the fundraiser?  For example if 2 people participate in an event to raise funds and those funds are only distributed into their accounts and not the larger organization?  

Thank you!

Sarah

Answer
My summary of IRS regulations relating to 501c3 booster organizations is at http://goo.gl/RO1ez -- you may be interested to read that. The funds do not need to be distributed equally, for example, higher level athletes who need more money for extra events that they participate in or for people whose family is of lower income.  But, if only two people participate the funds must not just go to benefit their family. My conclusion is based upon the following letter in which the IRS indicates that it treats "small groups" like individuals in the exempt organization context. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-lafa/den0543r.pdf
on page 4:
---Start of Excerpt--
A charitable organization must be set up for the benefit of an
indefinite class of individuals, not for specific persons. A
corporation organized and operated for the benefit of specific
individuals is not charitable, even if the specific individuals in
question are in need of assistance. Citing to Rev. Rul. 57-449.
---End of Excerpt--

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic