Nonprofit Law/Non Profit

Question
I am looking to start a business where I do websites and like services for churches and Christian non profits. I am looking to donate all the money to various Christian charities. I am not taking a salary from this as I have a job and am more interested in helping these organizations. Maybe in the future I make take a salary.

Would it be best to form this as a non profit or sole proprietorship? Which would be better tax wise?

Answer
You may certainly get tax benefits for setting up a nonprofit organization and obtaining from the IRS 501(c)(3) organization status as that would mean that any annual surpluses would not be taxable under the regulations for income taxes.  However, If you want donors to be able to deduct donations and not to have your sales income, if any, taxed as long as you comply with fundraising guidelines for 501(c)(3) organizations, you would need to establish a charitable trust, incorporate under a state's nonprofit corporation law, or set up an unincorporated nonprofit association. Your organizing document would need to state that it is organizing under Internal Revenue Code Section 501(c)(3) and have other required clauses. You would have at least 3 directors, with control of the board not in persons related by blood, marriage or other business.

There are some detailed regulations relating to proposed operations such as yours. See the 1986 EO CPE text, "H. IRC 501(c)(3) - Substantially Below Cost", on page 1:

However, for a much smaller group of organizations
    whose activities are not inherently religious,
    charitable, or educational, the basis for recognition
    of exemption under IRC 501(c)(3) is not readily
    apparent. Such organizations may engage in activities
    that appear to be of a typical commercial nature, such
    as providing purchasing, investment, consulting, or
    insurance services. Because these services are provided
    only to organizations that are exempt under IRC
    501(c)(3),organizations providing the service claim to
    qualify for exemption under IRC 501(c)(3).
http://ftp.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/eotopich86.pdf on page 1

In that EO text, we see, on page 8 a comment about one such
organization that "would in effect be providing the investment
and custodial services to the participating organizations
virtually free of cost to them, or at least substantially below
what it would cost to carry on such investment functions. Such
subsidization was viewed as sufficient to qualify the
organization's operations as charitable."

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic