Nonprofit Law/Not for profit vs nonprofit benefits

Question
I'm interested in starting either a non or notfor profit organization in Washington state. My quandary is, can I offer some tangible benefit to "volunteers" as they are not allowed any tax benefit for their time. My idea is to offer insurance of some sort to those who give their time, possibly having that be a benefit to membership which would place stipulations on thei minimum contribution. Does a designation of either non or not for profit allow for this and if so would having part or all of the insurance premiums donated have any bearing on its legality or the ability for the charity to operate under tax exempt status?

Answer
Volunteers may be reimbursed for expenses, but if workers are offered tangible benefits, that is considered compensation that is taxable. See, for example, http://pages.citebite.com/r8v8l8p8pdin
which is a newspaper story describing a situation when the State determined that organizations that promised "volunteers" gifts over the value of $50 per quarter were subject to state wage regulations for employees. That was an Oregon case but other state laws are similar. That case was about a sports foundation's "volunteers" being promised a season pass if they work roughly two dozen days helping put on races at the ski area.

But, the IRS does allow 501(c)(3) organizations to give someone compensation just so it is not more than what  is reasonable. Starting on pdf page 10 of www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/eotopici93.pdf the IRS discusses many of the factors it would look at to decide whether a salary is reasonable.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic