Nonprofit Law/Regarding Foreign activities

Question
Hello Sir,

We, group of friends planning to start a charitable organization. Can we spend charity money from this organization for charity activities(truly charity) in foreign countries like India. Do we need to register a non-profit organization in India also? or we can do charity work anywhere in the world? Can you please advice on this?

Thanks!

Answer
See the IRS publication at
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-wd/0504031.pdf for details about
international grants to and international activities of U.S. exempt
organizations, and, especially page 3-4 about grants to foreign
organizations starting on page 3 at "Deductibility - Control
Rules".

You do not need to register a nonprofit in India also.  www.ustreas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/programs
has the list of countries that the U.S. Treasury Department has on
its sanctions list and, if you are dealing with parties in any of
the listed countries, you would need to review the details as to
whether you would be able to send or receive funds from persons in
those countries. India is not on that list.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic