Nonprofit Law/VFD & POA sharing facilities

Question
We are a small volunteer fire department (VFD) that serves a small rural community and the county under contract to the county emergency service district and have a 501 C4 IRS designation. Review of your answers has brought to our attention that we need to make sure that our dealings with outside non tax exempt do not but our tax exempt status in jeopardy.
We have one situation that we are not sure of after review of your previous answers.  The rural community is managed by a property owners association (POA). The POA is not tax exempt.  The VFD and POA have their annual meeting on the same day.  The POA normally uses the VFD building for their meeting given its larger size compared to the POA community center at no fee.  Is this any problem with the IRS for our 501 C4 status?

Answer
There are two main types of 501(c)(4) organizations and it appears that your group obtained the designation because yours is a social welfare organization.
http://goo.gl/R8FJaU

In any case, a 501(c)(4) organization must not give private benefits. http://goo.gl/DFKh9 but for it to be an issue with the IRS, the private benefit would need to be substantial in relations to your total budget and one meeting room per year may not be substantial. An extensive discussion by the IRS of the private benefit issue relating to 501(c)(3) organizations is found at:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/eotopich01.pdf

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic