Nonprofit Law/Church Missionary Fund

Question
Hi Mr. Mechanic,

Could you point me to a resource or two that I could get my hands on quickly that would cover the basics of how to set up and administer a church missionary fund?  Say, for example, a church wished to send a few individuals to a foreign country and wished to collect funds to facilitate these individuals in pursuit of the purpose under which the 501c3 church was chartered.  I'm looking for information on how to set this up accounting-wise so that it is in compliance with IRS regulations.

Thank you very much

Answer
As to charitable deductions:
See IRS Publication 526 "Charitable Donations"
www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p526.pdf

on page 6 where the IRS lists as not deductible "Contributions to
individuals who are needy or worthy. This includes contributions to
a qualified organization if you indicate that your contribution is
for a specific person."

See
www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/eotopice96.pdf
starting in the middle of page 18 as to missionary programs
down to the end, on page 26.  The approved program starts on page
21
--- Start of Excerpt ---
The funds collected go to a commingled general fund. The
organization then distributes the funds to each mission where it is
used as needed. By using this system, the parents and relatives
will be donating more or less than the actual expenses of their son
or daughter. They are donating to the missionary effort the average
cost of supporting a missionary worldwide rather than the actual
cost of supporting their child.
---End of Excerpt---

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic