Nonprofit Law/Death of a director

Question
We have operated a small non profit out of our house for 15 years. Our Mother was the principle and is named on all tax forms. She past away this year. We desire to continue to operate the charity, are there forms or requirements to change the principle? The new principle is a member of the board of the charity?

Answer
I am assuming that you are referring to a Massachusetts Nonprofit Corporation.  http://goo.gl/KVXcK is the  Massachusetts Law for Corporations for
Charitable and Certain Other Purposes on the site of the
Massachusetts legislature.  

You would look to your bylaws as to replacing a member of the Board and then the Board generally votes in the officers.  You would not have any federal forms to complete just for the change, but annually you would file a Form 990 series. Links to Latest Published  Form 990 Series Forms and- Instructions
(990/990-EZ/990-N) are available at http://goo.gl/GFVHE
and http://goo.gl/CTkSR explains which 990 series return to file.

I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions about IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. You would also need to check with the Massachusetts government as to any filings that they would require.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic