Nonprofit Law/Donation in Exchange for Services

Question
QUESTION: Hi -

I gave a non-profit dance company $500 in exchange for their dancing at my wedding. Can I claim this as a charitable tax deduction on my taxes ? Also, I would like for the company to dance at a corporate event for the same $500, can the corporation claim this a charitable donation on its taxes ?

ANSWER:  As to charitable deductions, see IRS Publication 526 "Charitable
Donations"  which is available at:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p526.pdf
on page 6 middle column under the heading "Contributions
You  Cannot Deduct" is "3. The part of a contribution from which
you receive or expect to receive a benefit"

You were expecting a benefit and, in fact, contracted for that benefit, so there is no charitable contribution from what you wrote. Same answer for the corporation.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmai.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.    

QUESTION: Thanks for your reply. The code says " the part of the contribution from which you receive or expect to receive a benefit. " Based on the code you specified, it seems that if the value of the dance the non-profit provided was $200 then I can deduct $300 from my taxes - not the whole $500, correct ? ($200 is the fair market value of the dance or the contracted benefit; and $300 ( $500 - $200) is the charitable portion of the donation.

Answer
Earlier you did not specify that there was any value less than the $500 that you gave to the charity, but, now you specify a value of $200.  It appears that you are citing to code section 170 as that is the code section that deals with charitable deductions. 26 U.S.C. §170 is available at:
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/170

I don't see the quotation there in that section.  If you send me the citation (subsection) I can comment further on it.

The Treasury Regulations relating to charitable deductions are at 26 C.F.R. § 1.170A-1 which is available at http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/26/1.170A-1 and we see in a subsection(h):
--- Start of Excerpt ---
Payment in exchange for consideration—
(1) Burden on taxpayer to show that all or part of payment is a charitable contribution or gift. No part of a payment that a taxpayer makes to or for the use of an organization described in section 170(c) that is in consideration for (as defined in § 1.170A-13(f)(6)) goods or services (as defined in § 1.170A-13(f)(5)) is a contribution or gift within the meaning of section 170(c) unless the taxpayer—
(i) Intends to make a payment in an amount that exceeds the fair market value of the goods or services; and
(ii) Makes a payment in an amount that exceeds the fair market value of the goods or services.
--- End of Excerpt ---
http://goo.gl/EkdFcx
You did not explain that you intended to make a payment in an amount that exceeds the fair market value of the dancing services, but, if that was the case, then the excess can be treated as a charitable contribution by following the rules below that section, in subsection (i)
You would need to obtain an acknowledgement of the donation from the charity.
http://goo.gl/Lrar7q

The corporation contracting with the dance company would be subject to those regulations also.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic