Nonprofit Law/Non Profit Gymnastics Booster Club Fund Distribution

Question
Can a non profit 501 C3 gymnastics booster club have fundraising events that distribute profit according to participation? What if a fundraiser was hosted last year and no funds have been distributed yet, can those funds go only to the families that were present last year? Is it true that the NCAA could decline scholarship to gymnast if fundraising was distributed on a participation level? I have been expressing my feeling of the above things as being not allowable, but another mom has opposite feelings and thinks these things can be done. She says that I over analyze and that all the big gyms are doing this so it must be ok. She has even told me she will contact the NCAA and ask them. I told her please do.

Answer
My summary of IRS regulations relating to 501c3 booster organizations is at:
http://goo.gl/ULw6f6
and you may be interested to read that as it explains that the IRS does not allow 501(c)(3) organizations to distribute funds on the basis of participation.  Specifically, in August, 2013 the U.S. Tax Court supported the revocation of 501(c)(3) organization status of a formerly exempt organization and noted that a parent's fundraising was earmarked to reduce what otherwise could be a $1,400 payment the parent would have to pay out of his/her pocket. The direct linkage of a parent's fundraising resulted with paying expenses for that parent's child and was a very specific benefit obtained by the insider.  While the parent may not have been paid cash, the parent nevertheless ended up escaping having to write a check for the amount of the benefit.
Families who did not fundraise did not receive any benefits from the purported a 501(c)(3) organization.  http://goo.gl/F2dZws

I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions about IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. The NCAA rules are something else and I suggest you check with them as to their own policies.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic